This is a list of materials purchased by ZVA and held at the Saskatchewan Genealogy Library in Regina, Saskatchewan.
ZVA encourages new users to make a one time donation of $25 to our library fund. We, in turn, contribute your donation to the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society (SGS) which purchases items we specify. Canadians will receive a tax receipt from the SGS for their charitable contributions.
Although most of these items are in a special section of the SGS library devoted to Banat research, some items, family histories for example, are in other sections of the library. There are also separate sections for non-book items, such as microfilms, videos, charts, and CDs/DVDs. Ask the librarian for assistance. The items in the Banat section are listed at the SGS web site at https://saskgenealogy.com/.
While the collection is focused on Zichydorf and its neighbouring Banat villages, it also includes other Banat villages that provided Zichydorf’s pioneers, other areas of Eastern Europe, and Zichydorf migrants to North America.
The list is broken down into several broad categories:
- Donauschwaben – specific information about the individuals who migrated to Banat and general information regarding the Germans of the Danube region
- Ethnic Cleansing – historical analysis and personal stories of the post WW II persecution of ethnic Germans in Eastern Europe
- Historical Fiction – using historical facts, people and events to describe historical situations and imagine how individuals felt about their lives during settlement and development
- Localities – individual towns (other than Zichydorf), counties, or countries
- Military – Austrian military records and a history of the Prinz Eugen Division in WW II
- Zichydorf – items relating particularly to Zichydorf and its families